GEOFIT aims to develop a fully systematic, collaborative and integrated approach for the development of innovative EGS based on some diverse and complementary breakthrough TRL 5-6 technology assets brought by leading industrials, universities and RTOs, plus ICT tools for viable and cost-effective geothermal based retrofitting, a novel building retrofitting IDDS ready framework and corresponding platform, all reaching TRL7. This compromises two main aspects:
1. Efficient geothermal systems and components
GEOFIT focuses on a series of innovations regarding the requirements of energy retrofitting of buildings, developed based on market and customers demand, their alignment with environmental policies, initial costs and increased energy efficiency at system level. Thus a set of innovative, cost-driven, energy efficient and market-ready technologies and components are developed.
- Non-standard and cost-effective heat exchangers compact configuration for geothermal retrofitting, suitable for retrofitting in urban areas due to low required drilling depth.
- Hybrid heat pump system with increased COP and flexibility.
- Cheaper and lighter electrically driven heat pump system with large heat exchangers.
- Advanced heating and cooling solutions for geothermal based retrofitting, suitable for retrofitting and easy to install.
- ICT systems for cost-effective – energy efficient operation: Monitoring, forecasting and fine-tuning the HVAC system operation.
2. Tools and techniques for viable and cost-effective geothermal retrofitting
- Advanced methods to improve drilling parameters, looking for a modelling tool for improving drilling and excavation.
- Horizontal Directional Drilling for a quick installation of horizontal loops heat exchangers in urban environments.
- GEOBIM platform for geothermal based retrofitting: Geo-enabled Building Information Modelling to prevent overload of information and to reduce errors.
- Compact ground penetrating radar array and integration into GEOBIM system for mapping of underground utilities.
- Ground Based Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar for stability monitoring using a millimetre-wave technology able to provide range and angular measurements with a very high accuracy.
- Energy Demand Calculation Engine (EDCE) for accurate and rapid building energy demand calculation.
- Structural Building Monitoring during drilling with vibration control coupled with new numerical approaches for a rapid safety assessment.