ELS PINS DEL VALLÈS SCHOOL
Retrofitting and implementation of a geothermal system helps the municipality reduce environmental and carbon footprint and increase the use of renewable energy technologies. IDDS methodology is applied along the whole project life cycle and GEOBIM based management can show time and cost reduction. nZEB case study
Main industrial partners involved: COMS, IDP, CDP, SIART, UPO, ILECO, OCHS
Innovation Level: 2
- Location: Sant Cugat, Spain
- Typology/use: Tertiary / Educational
- Year of construction: 1975
- Area: 3.894 m2
- GEOFIT area: primary school building 466 m2; administration building 289 m2; sport pavilion 454 m2
- Climate condition: Mediterranean
- Existing HVAC system: Central heating system (gas boilers) with radiators
- Geological data: mainly silty clays
- Total energy consumption: 414.862 kWh/year (31% electricity + 69% natural gas)
- Previous retrofitting works: PV panels (27,03kWp photovoltaic installation for self-consumption; façade retrofitting (external thermal insulation composite system ETICS/EIFS) and replacement of current windows in all buildings. LED technology lamps.
- Thermal energy consumption (H): 75,51 kWh/m2/y
- Electric energy consumption (H): 33,03 kWh/m2/y
- Max. power consumption (H): 63 kW
- Simulation and demand modelling: H: 192,5 kW peak load; 144,5MWh total load. C: 6 kW peak load and 3,8 MWh total load
- Drilling/excavation: improved vertical drilling and HDD
- Nr of bh: 12 (1 horizontal); Depth of bh: 115m; Spacing: 10m
- Building monitoring during drilling phase: environmental survey to evaluate state of fact of the building; survey during drilling phase to understand which the building response is; survey after the shock with the aim to compare with previous.
- Ground source heat pump: electrically driven HP with 40kW heating capacity and 5kW cooling capacity with a 1.000l buffer tank. Whole system designed with R1234zee refrigerant. HP operational control system integrated. Valves will be installed in the radiators to allow the operation with the GSHP.
- Operation strategy: co-generation GSHP with gas boiler. GSHP will cover most of heat demand; base load provided by the GSHP and peak demand by the gas boiler.
- Retrofitting proposed: HTC passive geothermal system (cooling panels + ventilation + modular control center) in the administrative building. Highly modularised, ‘plug-and-play’, ‘ready-to-install’ and energy efficient cooling solution.
- BEMS: Intelligent layer on top of the ecoSCADA GW already installed during pre-intervention phase.